Skip links

Immigration assistance in Canada

Obtaining permanent residency, citizenship, work or study permits or sponsoring your loved one can be a complex process not without its challenges. In most cases, you must meet stringent criteria, provide the correct documentation, and be able to successfully navigate challenges that arise during the process.

From the first meeting with one of our immigration attorneys, you will get help in understanding what is needed. They will prepare your for each milestone and guide you through obstacles should they arise.

About Legal Logik

Should you contact an immigration attorney?

You should contact a qualified attorney if one the following situations apply to you:

  • You’d like help in understanding the process of obtaining permanent resident status in Canada, what is involved, and what will be asked of you at each step of the way
  • You would like to work or study in Canada
  • You would like to visit Canada
  • You would like to come to Canada as an investor, entrepreneur or self-employed worker (Quebec Immigration Programs for Business People)
  • You would like to participate in one of the provincial or federal economic immigration programs
  • You would like to hire employees from abroad to work in your company in Canada
  • You would like to participate in one of the International Experience Canada categories (work and study in Canada)
  • You would like to sponsor a relative to join you in Canada
  • You would like to submit a Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds Application

Get help from a dedicated immigration attorney who can guide you from A-Z

Schedule a Consultation

How our immigration attorneys can help

Schedule a Consultation

Our dedicated immigration attorneys can help you with any of the following:

  • Permanent Residency
  • Family Sponsorship
  • Humanitarian & Compassionate Grounds Application
  • Citizenship Application
  • Visitor Visa
  • Study Permit
  • Work Permit
  • Skilled Worker Application (Express Entry)
  • Labor Market Impact Assessment for employers
  • Provincial and federal immigration programs for business people
  • International Experience Canada categories (work and study in Canada)


You may be eligible to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner to Canada. You must be at least 18 years of age and a canadian citizen or permanent resident in order to be an eligible sponsor. If you live in Quebec, your spouse will also need a Certificate of Selection from the Ministère de l’immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion in order to move to Canada.

Yes, your spouse may be eligible for an Open Work Permit.

Yes, you may be able to sponsor your spouse’s dependents. You will need to sign an Undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of the person being sponsored. Depending on the age of the dependents (children), the duration of the Undertaking may differ.

Yes, you may be able to sponsor your parents or grandparents. You will need to prove that you have the minimum necessary income to be eligible. Depending on the number of persons being sponsored and the number of persons in your family unit, the minimum necessary income can vary.

Whether your spouse lives in Canada or abroad, the assessment of the sponsor and the person being sponsored can take up to 12 months.

There are several programs available for business persons that wish to immigrate to Canada or Quebec, such as the Federal Self-Employed Persons Program, Federal Start-up Visa Program, and the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program. The Quebec Investor Program is the only option for business immigrants to secure permanent residence in Canada through passive investment.

A border services officer will determine at the port of entry how long you can stay in Canada. Most visitors can remain in Canada for up to 6 months from the day that they entered Canada. If the border officer decides that you should remain in Canada for less than 6 months, this will be indicated in your passport. If you would like to remain in Canada for longer than the time allowed, you must apply for an extension of your visitor status.

Most people that travel through Canada need either a Visitor Visa, a Transit Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA).
The type of document that you need depends on:

  • the country that issued your travel document
  • your nationality
  • how to travel to Canada (air, boat, or land)
  • the type of travel document that you will travel with

A temporary resident visa (TRV) is an official document issued by a visa office which is placed in a person’s passport showing that they have met the requirements to be admitted into Canada as a temporary resident. A temporary resident can be authorized to remain in Canada as a visitor, a student or a worker.

A temporary resident permit (TRP) is an authorization to travel to Canada if you are otherwise inadmissible to do so. People may be inadmissible to enter Canada for criminal reasons, for example. In order to be eligible for a TRP, you must demonstrate that your visit is justified. A TRP is issued for the duration of your stay in Canada and it becomes invalid when you leave Canada.

If you have a criminal record, you may be inadmissible to enter Canada. Depending on the crime and how long ago you were convicted, you may be able to overcome criminal inadmissibility if you are deemed rehabilitated, if you applied for rehabilitation and was approved, or if you were granted a record suspension or a Temporary Resident Permit.

Yes, you may be allowed to work without a Work Permit while studying in Canada. You can work on campus at the University or College at which you are enrolled, or you can work off campus for a maximum of 20 hours/week during the regular academic session.

People who would not normally be able to obtain Permanent Residence in Canada may apply on Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds. These applications are exceptional as you are seeking an exemption to the application of the immigration laws. Factors which are considered in a Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds Application are: the various ties to Canada, the consequences that would be suffered by the applicant should they return to their country of origin, and the best interests of the children involved.

Schedule a Consultation

Contact Us - Immigration Assistance

We’re here to answer any questions

  • Your Contact Information

  • What's the best # to reach you on.
  • Either Business or Personal
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.